About Historic Columbine
Listed on the Register of National Historic Places, Columbine is surrounded by Routt National Forest and is situated at the base of Hahn’s Peak.
James Caron, who later became the town’s Justice of the Peace, Postmaster, and Coroner, officially laid out the town of Columbine in 1897. Prior to this, a general store was constructed in 1880, along with a few cabins on the town’s 11-acre footprint. The discovery of gold on the slopes east of Hahn’s Peak fueled the “Columbine Stampede” in 1881. Columbine was the stopover for the stagecoach run between Laramie and Steamboat Springs and also had a school.
To this day, Columbine is associated with trapping, mining, livestock ranching and as stopover for travelers. The town now operates as a resort with the historic cabins used for guest accommodations. While many renovations have occurred over the years, the town maintains its historic charm and rustic appeal.